Skip to main content

Ragnar Trail - Vail Lake

Last year, I participated in my first Ragnar Trail Relay (McDowell Mtn) and surprisingly our team won the Leave No Trace Award (or Eco-Friendly Award? Environmentally Friendly Award?). The prize came with a few race goodies but best of all came with a free race entry for our entire team. We decided to put it to good use this year at Ragnar Trail Vail Lake located outside Temecula, CA.
Ragnar Village
To those unfamiliar with the Ragnar Trail relay, I'll explain as quickly as possible. It's a relay race where one runner on a team is always running the course. The course consists of 3 loops on trails. Each runner on a team runs all 3 loops but the runners don't all run them in the same order. Make sense? Sorta? Not really? Go here for more info.
Our campsite. So much space!
Anyway, we arrived at the campsite just in time to drop off our gear, drive to the parking lot, and catch the last shuttle back to camp. We set up tents and crashed for the night. In the morning, we checked out the goings on at Ragnar Village, organized our stuff, and readied ourselves for our team start at 11 am. As runner #6, I had a while to eat, hydrate, and prep.
Though Vail Lake is a nice change from the desert, the surrounding area is reminiscent of Phoenix. The trails were dusty, lined with brush and cacti with trees here and there to provide brief moments of shade. I started my first leg around 4 pm on a hot, dry, cloudless day. 4.5 miles and 900 feet of climbing, most of that in the first 2 miles. The climbs were steep and I pushed too hard at the beginning per usual. Those pre-race jitters always make me push too hard out the gate. But my heart and lungs soon recovered to be able to joyfully bound down the mountain again. It was a good leg, tough during the heat of the day (low 80's but with heat index of 100+) but felt good nonetheless. Especially once I got back, cooled down, and enjoyed an afternoon jump in the lake. It wasn't as good as a shower, but it was a close second. I ate dinner and soon settled into my sleeping bag to rest until my middle of the night run.
Looking far too happy before leg 1.
My teammates woke me up about midnight to prep for my next run. The night run at Ragnar is always my favorite, but I knew there would be more hills to conquer in this 3.9 mile loop. My calves and quads were unhappy as I headed up the first few hills. But the downhills were once again my saving grace and allowed me to pass several runners. Soon enough I was back at camp, cleaned myself up and back into bed.

There isn't a whole lot of sleeping that occurs at these sorts of races. Not for me at least. I don't sleep well unshowered in a tent on the hard ground. So I maybe got 4 hours of sleep that night. The next morning, I headed out for my last leg at about 9 am, sun beating down again but with a cool breeze. 6 miles of mostly flats, with one lengthy but steady incline about halfway in. I felt good, despite the fatigue, and finished the route with my best pace of the race so far. I finished the leg out with a quick jump in the cool lake. My muscles were thankful.
Our team finished at about noon, everyone running well, no injuries and no major incidences. Each of us ran just under 15 miles, with about 2000 feet of gain total.

With Ragnar #8 in the books, I guess it's time to get ready for #9 next month. I'm not sure I'd call myself a Ragnar fanatic, but it is always a blast to be able to run as a team sport, supporting and encouraging other runners as you go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryce Canyon 50k Race Report

All photos captured by Gregg or myself. Short version Miles: 31.1 Time elapsed: 8:59:52 Elevation above sea level: 7,300-9,100 ft Elevation gain (how much uphill there was): ~5,400 ft Liquids consumed: roughly 75-100 oz of water + Nuun (electrolytes) Fuel : 6 shot bloks, 2 caffeinated gels, nutella + pancake + salt, nutella + tortilla, potato chips Weather: temps ranged between 43-60 degrees, somewhat sunny/cloudy most of the course, rain and hail for a total of 3-4 miles, muddy conditions for about 2 miles Overall impression: My goal was to finish. And I did. But seriously? That was nuts. I'm pretty sure the thing that drove me to the finish was the will to survive. (That hail was no joke.) Will I do it again? Uhhhhh. Long version I won't lie. I went into this race undertrained. I should have done more power hiking. More hill repeats. More altitude training. Either way, race day came and we arrived at Ruby's campground the evening before...

Ragnar Trail McDowell Mountain

I ran Ragnar Trail McDowell for the second time last November. Heading into this race I felt well prepared, but at the same time I thought I could have prepared more. There's hardly ever been a race where I think I gave it my all during training. Consistency is my weakness. I was participating in an all women's team with my older sister and her friends. To sum up, they are FAST. We had several chances to run together as a team prior to race weekend. I was almost always last, huffing and puffing to keep up with those ladies. All of them are 10+ years my senior with far more experience, wisdom, and let's face it years of running regularly. And they look good doing it! They're my heroes.  As far as the actually running of the race, I started having GI problems a few days before. Not the best way to start. But if I've learned anything from trail runners, it's that you persevere. If you can help it, you push through the discomfort. Surprisingly, I ran way...

Twenty Six Point Two

I don't think it's actually sunk in yet. 26.2 miles. Did I really just run that? I started running almost 7 years ago. I had broken up with my boyfriend and needed a distraction. My dad and many of my older siblings were marathon runners. So I asked a sister to start running with me 3 times a week so I could train for the annual Thanksgiving 10k. It was my first race as an adult and I was hooked. My running career has been full of ups and downs. Mostly a lot of downtime. But I have trained seriously for races on a few occasions. On those rare occasions, I had hoped that I had finally gotten to the point of no return. That I had been converted to the running lifestyle and no longer needed to convince myself each time I needed to run. But after a successful season and once the weather grew warm, my training slacked and I fell out of routine again. And again. And again. Photo from azcentral.com While I pursued my Master's degree, I felt like I had littl...