Skip to main content

Reflection and Goals

Shortly after my last post in 2016, I strained my right quadricep muscle while running and training for a 50K that was to be here in Phoenix. While initial prognosis was maybe only a couple weeks off from running, I ended up in physical therapy for nearly 5 months. As a result, my running goals were put on hold but that didn't stop my adventuring. I hiked along the Continental Divide in Idaho.
Outside West Yellowstone in Idaho.
Later that summer, some friends and I hiked and summited the highest peak in Arizona, Mt. Humphreys (elevation: 12,633 ft). The first time I'd ever climbed over 10,000 ft.
The Grand Canyon and Sedona are visible from the top.
Later that year I also hiked/ran the Grand Canyon for a variation of Rim2Rim for a total of about 30 miles to celebrate my sister's 40th birthday. It was an incredible learning experience, not only in steep climbing but also in preparation and what to do in crisis in the wilderness (we're so glad you're still alive, Megan!).
The Ooh-Aah Point
As a result of over-extending myself while still injured, I developed a little bit of runner's knee. But early in 2017, I finally got into a solid routine of strength training and I was feeling great. Simultaneously, my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for some time. When I became injured it was a sign to me that my running needed to take a backseat. But time went on, I was healthy again and still not pregnant.

Tired of putting my life on hold, I signed up for my first 50 mile race to be completed at the end of 2017. I was the fittest I'd ever been! And within a month I found out I was pregnant. Elation and disappointment and anxiety all accompanied the first part of pregnancy. So I deferred my 50 mile race but still decided to complete two half marathons. Around 8ish weeks pregnant, I ran the Zion Half Marathon. But it was slow-going as a result of a first trimester nausea. But the course was insane and beautiful and so worth the suffering.


I celebrated the end of the first trimester at 13 weeks with another Half Marathon in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah, under the shadow of Mt. Timpanogos. I took it easy with friends and while my finish time was nothing to brag about, I felt great and that was enough.
Running in Mesa, AZ some 33 weeks pregnant.
The remainder of my pregnancy had me running here and there while I fell in love with indoor rock climbing and climbed well into my third trimester.

Strength training. Coach Griff making sure my form is on point.
Soon after I had my baby boy (child #2) with no drugs and my awesome, supportive doula. While I don't consider myself a granola-hippie, it was an experience akin to finishing a marathon that I'd recommend to anybody. You're left with an adrenaline high that makes you feel damn near invincible.

Baby boy is now 6 months old. My goals post-delivery were to adjust back to running in a healthy way. Since, I've been training with a good friend who has provided me with the direction and focus I've needed to get way further along than I had after my first child was born. And while I'm not exactly where I had hoped I'd be by this time, I am well on my way to completing that same 50K I hoped to complete in 2016 and that same 50 mile race I hoped to complete in 2017.
First race after pregnancy, about 11 weeks postpartum. REI 5K!
Exploring Sedona with friends. 
2nd race of the Insomniac Series, 10K near Scottsdale.
Exploring Alaska, land of the midnight sun, with my brother.

I'm excited now to be a part of Team Trail Sisters and hope to do what I can to represent them and their mission of inspiring women outdoors and on the trails. Here's to more 2018 adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryce Canyon 50k Race Report

All photos captured by Gregg or myself. Short version Miles: 31.1 Time elapsed: 8:59:52 Elevation above sea level: 7,300-9,100 ft Elevation gain (how much uphill there was): ~5,400 ft Liquids consumed: roughly 75-100 oz of water + Nuun (electrolytes) Fuel : 6 shot bloks, 2 caffeinated gels, nutella + pancake + salt, nutella + tortilla, potato chips Weather: temps ranged between 43-60 degrees, somewhat sunny/cloudy most of the course, rain and hail for a total of 3-4 miles, muddy conditions for about 2 miles Overall impression: My goal was to finish. And I did. But seriously? That was nuts. I'm pretty sure the thing that drove me to the finish was the will to survive. (That hail was no joke.) Will I do it again? Uhhhhh. Long version I won't lie. I went into this race undertrained. I should have done more power hiking. More hill repeats. More altitude training. Either way, race day came and we arrived at Ruby's campground the evening before...

Ragnar Trail McDowell Mountain

I ran Ragnar Trail McDowell for the second time last November. Heading into this race I felt well prepared, but at the same time I thought I could have prepared more. There's hardly ever been a race where I think I gave it my all during training. Consistency is my weakness. I was participating in an all women's team with my older sister and her friends. To sum up, they are FAST. We had several chances to run together as a team prior to race weekend. I was almost always last, huffing and puffing to keep up with those ladies. All of them are 10+ years my senior with far more experience, wisdom, and let's face it years of running regularly. And they look good doing it! They're my heroes.  As far as the actually running of the race, I started having GI problems a few days before. Not the best way to start. But if I've learned anything from trail runners, it's that you persevere. If you can help it, you push through the discomfort. Surprisingly, I ran way...

Twenty Six Point Two

I don't think it's actually sunk in yet. 26.2 miles. Did I really just run that? I started running almost 7 years ago. I had broken up with my boyfriend and needed a distraction. My dad and many of my older siblings were marathon runners. So I asked a sister to start running with me 3 times a week so I could train for the annual Thanksgiving 10k. It was my first race as an adult and I was hooked. My running career has been full of ups and downs. Mostly a lot of downtime. But I have trained seriously for races on a few occasions. On those rare occasions, I had hoped that I had finally gotten to the point of no return. That I had been converted to the running lifestyle and no longer needed to convince myself each time I needed to run. But after a successful season and once the weather grew warm, my training slacked and I fell out of routine again. And again. And again. Photo from azcentral.com While I pursued my Master's degree, I felt like I had littl...